Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show desktop icon in taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterv3

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to place the desktop icon in my taskbar? In 98 and 2000 it seems as if it already exists, however in XP it does not exist.. Can anyone help?

By default the "Quick Launch" bar is not enabled in XP. If you right click the task bar (anywhere except on an application). Select Properties and then check the "Show Quick Launch" box ... the show desktop is always on the Quick Launch by default.

Later ...

Yes, OzCDN is right, you should enable Quick Launch Bar if it's desabled. But if you already enabled it and still don't see Show Desktop Icon (maybe someone deleted it), you will have to do some writing (or Copy-Pasting :) .

Use any text editor to create simple text file called "Show Desktop.scf". Fill it with the following lines:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

You have to save this file (or a shortcut to it) right into your Quick Launch Folder, most likely in "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\" . [2thumbsup] It works!!

Starudin, please don't complicate things.
Peterv3 is obviously new to this, so keep it simple, as it actually already is like OzCDN explained. The solution is out there. [morning]

I don't have feelings, so you're safe ;-)

Really, you don't hurt my feelings at all, I am just pointing out to keep solutions simple. The answer was already given, so there is no need to tweak in a very roundabout way to obtain something that is already there. The solution is out there. [morning]

Thank you all to have responded to this thread. I right clicked on the tool bar as instructed to do so and this seemed to be the quickest easiest way to complete what I wanted to do.

Thanks again to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back