Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show debug log on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Is there a way of showing what windows is doing when it is shutting down?

The work routine is as follows
o startup - 1 min
o login - 2 min
o startup a vm - 1 min
o work in the VM all day
o suspend the VM - 1 min
o shutdown - 5 to 10 min

As I haven't done anything except play with a VM, I can't understand why a shutdown takes that long. I don't even browse the internet. If I don't use the VM, just login and shutdown, it takes 1-2 minutes to shutdown.

I'd just like to know what it is doing when it takes 10 minutes to shutdown. Maybe it is a process taking a long time to terminate or a device I do not use. Is there any way of seeing what is happening?

If I was you, the first thing I would do is power on, log in, open Task Manager and see what is all running, shutdown, and record time to shutdown. Power on, log in, run VM for 10 min and close out of VM, open Task Manager and see what process are still active. Maybe your VM is eating up alot of RAM its not releasing causing the system to hang longer than it should.

Something easy to check and do and might give you some insight. Im sure others will have a better idea for attack.

What VM are you using, WMware, Virtual Box,....?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

VMWare player.

I've done that - if the VM is on for up to 3 hours, the shutdown is pretty quick. When it is 7-8 hours, it is really slow. I haven't tried anything in between yet. Thing is the number of processes is the same and their memory usage is more or less the same. Logging off is quick. It is just shutting down after logging off which is really slow.

Problem is the base machine is XP home so I can't even switch on verbose on gpedit.msc. Not sure how much difference that would make.

I'll try 5, 6, 7 and 8 hours over next week and report back.

maybe this would be of value to you also:

Make Windows XP Shut Down Faster

How To Fix Slow Logoff And Long Shutdown Times In Windows XP

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back