Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show data from one portal to another portal in the same layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channel05

MIS
Mar 21, 2007
CA
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if this is possible.

I have a fairly simple database structure, my items are linked to a Order table (there is a many to many relationship here so I've created a transaction table to handle this. i.e. there's only orderid and itemid in this table which records get autogenerated) and my Customers are directly linked to the Order table using a customer id.

I can set this up so that I can show all orders in one layout using a portal and make each order a button which takes me to a separate layout showing what items were requested in the particular order.

What I would like to see on one layout is:
the customer detail, a portal showing all the orders made by the customer and a portal showing the items that were in a specific order.

The problem is that I can show the orders on one portal but how do I set it up so that when I click on the order, the next portal shows the specific items? Currently, I can only see the items for the first order and that's it.

Any help or more info would be greatly appreciated as I've just started to use Filemaker Pro and am still unsure of its capabilities. I'm guessing that I would need to create a global field of some kind?

Hi Channel05,
You still need help on this?
In any case you are on the right track. I am assuming you are looking at the layout on the "Customers" table...
Use a global field to create a relationship. In the 'top' (order listing)portal insert a transparent button (or obvious one named 'view details' or whatever) over the record. Tag a script to this button that will then set field (the global one) with the value and create a realtionship on the fly.
This will then make your 'bottom' portal (items) come to life.
As always there are a few ways to get this done...global fields is one of them....post more if you need help.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back