Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

show controller command on ethernet interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

klklkl

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
It was a few years ago when I took the Cisco INTRO exam. One of the questions showed me the output of a show controller command on a 10 Mbps Ethernet interface on a switch. It asked me to determine the type of cable attached to the interface and a few multiple guess options to follow. It indicated as if I could tell if it was a straight through cable attached when it should be a crossover. That's all I remember. But now my question is, how does that command work? It has been teasing me ever since and I can't figure out the command. Perhaps the last multiple guess option was something like, "It is not possible from the information above..." Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It was a DTE or DCE serial crossover that I remember, not ethernet---probably asked on a serial interface. Do a sh contr s0/0 or whatever your serial interface is, with a DB-60 DTE/DCE crossover cable attached, and it will show you if it is DTE or DCE. I have to recert for NP in a few months, if that tells you how long it's been since I took CCNA. Not bad memory for an old man, eh?lol

/

The metro ethernet would go in on an Ethernet port anyways. So I would agree its a DTE/DCE serial conection.
Show controller ?

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back