Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show all dates vs. blank???

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldfishhh

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2008
US
I have a dataset which has the dates a job has failed. In my report, I'm grouping by month. There are some months where I don't have any data, yet I want to display the date as a blank. How?

The data looks like this:

Jan Mar April July
1 10 12 4

I want it to look like this:

Jan feb Mar April May June July Aug
1 4 10 12 5 6 4 10

Any ideas?

You probably meant for some of those months to have zeros under them, since you said that some months may not have data.

There is no automatic way to have CR do this, but there is an article on the link below that gives some workaround options.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Are you able to get tables / datasets added to the database? If you got a table of month slots set up, this could be linked to the activity using LEFT OUTER and you'd still get a slot when there was no activity. (But note that LEFT OUTER does not work if you also do a selection on the table receiving the LEFT OUTER link.)

If you can't add a table, you'll be stuck with creating a 'Mock Crosstab'. Crosstabs are fine if you don't mind the absence of rows or columns with no data, but you said you wanted empty slots to show.

A 'Mock Crosstab' is something that looks like a Crosstab, but in fact you define each column yourself, normally as a running total. This would need to go in the report footer, because running totals count as the reports 'run' and they will not be complete until then. Crystal should have included an example along with the Crosstabs.

You can save a little time by doing a paste to a dummy report, changing the name and then pasting back.

Each running total will count the record if it was within the criteria - in your case, month.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back