Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should we use Remote Tools or Norstar Manager? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamHead

Technical User
Apr 27, 2017
GB
We have a donated Modular PBX at each of four Heritage Railway stations with a typical system version 'SP: 30HvG09 GP2' and Feature Cartridge: 'NNTM040BB910; NT7B79AY-93;Rel 01 Mfg 980323;i/c 102463 v6.9;i420 FEAT CART 50A'.
Running NRU 11 on a FastRad (downgraded E-Rad) we get 'System unknown. Back up not supported'.
Is this because our PBX's are so old that we should be using Norstar Manager or because there is no map file for the BT/UK system in NRU 11?
Where could we find either a relevant map file or Norstar Manager software, if relevant?

Thanks in advance

I've "played" with some of the NA Nortel tools on UK Norstar's and I also have most of the UK maps that weren't generally available. I've found that only the later Modular 0+32 and Compact Plus versions 3 to 5 were OK to use with the NRU 11 software.

I was able to use all the features such as the browser and backup sections in the program. Please unzip the attached file into your MAP folder and let me know if you are able to use the tool. As you have stated, you do need to downgrade the E-Rad to make it a FastRAD so that the modem accepts digits only.

You need to be aware that the UK versions were specifically designed to meet the rules set at that time for use on BT exchanges and also that BT had their own remote access kit that required a server to run it from one central location as they were really the only distributor for the UK market.

SP: 30HvG09 GP2 = Modular 0+32 ISDN30e Version 609

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks for the info. Will try the maps when next on duty (next week) and report back...
Fingers are crossed.

Regret we are still getting 'System unknown' even after adding the extra .map files. You would have thought that 315 .map files would have covered it! [sad].
The E-Rad (FastRad) is happily talking to the system using the Remote Set tool and allows us to view and change any system setting.
I assume the *cfr.map are Canadian French, the *eng.map are American/Canadian English and the *bri.map are the BT British maps that we are looking for - of which we have 19.

We're running NRU 11. Will reverting to NRU 10 be more revealing and show us which file it is expecting?

Any suggestions as to what we can try next, please?
(SP: 30HvG09 GP2 = Modular 0+32 ISDN30e Version 609)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back