Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should this be my next Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazimshi

Technical User
Dec 17, 2006
US
I recently finished my associate in CS and was wondering how I should go about continuing to learn so that I am hirable. Unfortunately, my degree is not enough to get an entry level programming job. I want to keep going in programming and was wondering if C# should be the new language I focus on. I know C++, VB.NET and 6.0, SQL, COBOL and some other training in some not so useful languages. I don't want to be left behind. If there are other languages you think would be better for me to work on that's fine. I am just looking for a little guidence.

With regards to C# and VB.NET, the difference between them is just syntax. C# is, for the most part, just another curly-brace language.

The real challenge is knowing the 5000+ classes in the framework itself. The language you use to call into the framework is just "glue" to connect things up.

You might want to repost your question in the "My own development as a professional" forum. Others there can probably answer your career direction questions there better.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back