Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should there be a Reporting Services Forum?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverGuy

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
US
What do you all think? Do you think there is enough interest to warrant a forum dedicated to reporting services? Has anyone suggested one yet?

Absolutely, there should be. This tool's going to explode in usage as soon as everyone in the MS world finds out how completely it whups Crystal Reports' behind.

I'm looking forward to the day I initiate the uninstall on Crystal Enterprise, you betcha [shadeshappy]

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Web Developer
IIMAK
-----------
A skeleton walks into a bar, and says "I'll have a beer and a mop.

Nice. If a few more people add onto this thread, then I will suggest it to the admins.

PLEEEEEEASE can there be a forum. With SSRS been so new there isn't a lot of good useful stuff on the web and since the rest of the site is good, I am sure it will atract useful posts. PLEEEEASE create a forum

i agree there should be a forum for reporting services

I sent a suggestion to the forum manager.

Thanks - its needed.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that noboby appreciates how difficult it was.
- Steven Wright

Yes, I would be interested in this as well. We just loaded it on a test machine and created some basic reports already - very cool...cannot wait to see what it all does!

I hope the forum managers are all for it. We'll see what happens.

Let's see it. I've been waiting for it ever since the beta version was released. Let'er rip!

--John [rainbow]
-----------------------------------
Behold! As a wild ass in the desert
go forth I to do my work.
--Gurnie Hallock (Dune)

just want to add another vote for a SRS forum. Do you think MS will continue to develope this? Interesting that they continue to embed CR in VS.net (2005). I saw several vendors talking about developing a conversion tool to go from a crystal report to RDL early this year but nothing on the market yet. I can't imagine converting an existing project with over 300 report objects manually. I am using both CR9adv and CE9Pro now and would like to save the money(maintenance) since we are 100% MS SQL backend and already have the CAL's for all users. Anyone doing a major implimentation of reporting services yet?

I received an email from Dave Murphy. He said something to the effect that if it gets to the point where there are lots of questions popping up about it, they could make a forum for it.

cjlarue

I did a big conversion. We had close to 200 reports in CR distributed over CE. Because of the cost of CE licensing we had a nightmare with people sharing named licenses. This caused all kinds of problems. We switched over to RS about 3 weeks after the release of RS. It took a little while to learn the ins and outs of developing reports in RS but once you figure it out it isn't that hard to convert reports. Now that SP1 is out it fixes the issue with pdf exports. If you have all the CALs for SQL server it can save you a ton on maintenance. Download the trial. You will not be disapointed. True dynamic pick lists make the conversion worth the headache all by themselves.

Here's a question about reporting services -

I have installed it and see how to access reports and all that; however, can a report be embedded in a web page and can we embed a report in an exe?

Is there a sample out there - do I need to create a project reference and how can I access the report from my code?

In addition, can I pass parameters to the report from what someone enters in text box in coding?

Any samples out there explaining this in more detail?

Thanks!

The reports run by default in a web page. If you create paramaters to by used with your report, the user is presented with a text box or combo box automattically.

Thanks - I have the reporting services installed, created reports with parameters and see what you mention above.

However, what I am hoping to achive is that I do not want people to have to go to the reports web page that is created. Instead I want reports to run/launch from within an application or from our intranet without having people go to that particular reporting web page to access these reports.

Something like - our intranet page is created and a graph is on that intranet page displayed automatically - but the graph is a report that was created and somehow linked to intranet page & transparent to user. (Same thing as in an application)

Angela

To me intranet page means web page. Intranet web page. You publish it to an in-house server. I'm not sure about embedding them in a thick client app.

Yes, RiverGuy, intranet = web page to me too. :)

We already have created our intranet web pages and developed them separately from reporting services.

On the intranet web pages that are already created, I would like to display a graph that was created via reporting services - and display this graph on the already created intranet web page automatically. I do not want to launch a separate reporting services web page.

So what I am asking is if you can reference a reporting services report on an existing web page? Maybe you just have to type the URL of the reporting services web page on the intranet.

& then the other side was referencing the report from within a client app.

Thanks again!

I see what you mean. I have no idea. I'm sure you could get by with frames, but it might not look very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back