Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should my pc be this slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I got a new 120gb 7200rpm hard drive last week, I installed windows xp home(came with sp1) onto it and then added all my other programs such as winamp, microsoft works,zone alarm pro, spybot etc. I now have a clean system ready for use, I find though that some folders are so slow to open, I have a file with some mp3's, there are about 15 in there and the file is about 45mb in size however when I click it there is a delay in opening of about 5 seconds and I dont know why. I split the 120gb into smaller partition for easier use, I must have about 8 partitions so could that be effecting the performance?

During normal xp operation I have about 220mb of free ram left over, I have a p4 at 1.5ghz. None of the drives are fragmented and I have no services running which I do not need. I have run spyware check and there is nothing. I dont know what it could be.

You likely have an IDE interface that is only 66 or 100 Mhz.

It is equally likely that your cache settings are inappropriate for XP.

Go to the store and for a small amount purchase a Promise PCI controller rated at least PC133. Also, purchase the right cables if you do not have them. They have 80 conductors instead of the normal 40.

Check before doing anything that your new PCI 133 IDE adapter boards have the newest possible drivers for XP.

Then run the drive from this new board with new cables. If it was mine, I would do a re-install of XP with a floppy diskette version of Ultra.sys at hand:

Have you got all your updates for Windows?

A suggested workaround: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to
the key below and delete the default data (right pane).

For AVI's

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avishellex\PropertyHandler

For MP3's

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3\shellex\PropertyHandler

Note: Make a backup of each key before editing.

Have a look around these links.

Select a file - windows stops.
Thread779-422825

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back