Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I wait 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhoul

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2002
AU
I need to get rid of an old SBS 4.5 which runs Exchange 5.5. This is a legacy thing and is a real pain as it cannot be made to trust my Win2K domains.

A lot of the DB's seem to have corruptions in them as well.

Should I wait for Exchange 2003 or should I buy 2000? If I get Exchange server 2000 & Win 2K server software with software assurance this should cover me enough, right?

Thanks,

Mark

We are running exchange 2003 Beta for now 3 weeks.
About 25 users. No problems at all.
Really looks like 2000 but some new feature, like a OWA new interface (BTW pretty kool) ...

And if you planned to upgrade you servers to Win2k3, you won't be able to run EX2000, so its a good point to check!

Hope it can helped you ...

You might want to try upgrading to RC1 of exchange 2003, i have been running it for 4 months (beta 2) and am really impressed with the new features. Skipping 2000 would be worth it i feel as 2003 will be out in the next few months therefore you will be getting the longest possible time span for support from MS where 2000 is aready 2 or 3 years into the life cycle

as posted in a different thrad

Hi

It isnt possible to go directly to exchange 2003 however it is bossible to import the users into 2003. My advice also is to skip exchange 2000, the features available in the latest version are far better, the most notable one being the web interface which in my opinion is excellent. I use this more than i use the outlook client and have been running it since beta 1 of exchange 2003.

Please feel free to take a look at my server..

goto click on outlook web access and say yes to the certificate security warning (i cant affored to purchase a certificate from online authorities) and log in using

Username : affy\demo
Password : demoacc

I will leave this acailable for today and tomorrow at which time i will change the password

Hope this helps

Dave

:)

also that account works for citrix login as well

Thanks very much. I have decided to rollout the Exch RC1 2003 and then purchase licence later on.

Regards,

Mark

Dave (affy1977)

I joined this thread a little late. I am currently part of a 2500+ user Novell NDS network and the corp has decided to move to AD 2003. I think this is a great move for the corporation. We are moving to AD2003 to run Exchange 2003. I did visit your website and was very impressed. I wish my intranet site was so nicely usable.

Could I bother you to activate your website again so I could look at Exchange/Outlook 2003? I was my systems Exchange guy (we moved from CCmail 6.3 to Exchange 5.5) I will tell you up front, I'd like to make screen shots to show my bosses. (If that's okay)

Regards,

Scott

"It's not that I do my best work under pressure, it's that I ONLY work under pressure!"

Hi Exchangenewguy,

unfortunatly i have screwed somthing up on myserver and need to reinstall it, this will be done next thursday and will post a reply with the new account details when it is running properly

Dave

Dave

Dave and MidwestAdmin, I am going to use Microsoft's freebee this next week to show my boss (and his boss). I am still interested in looking at your's Dave, as it's a real system rather than a MS one. If it's okay, I would like to keep talking with you guys about Exchange and Windows networks in general. We (our corp) is terribly understaffed and this will actually be our first foray into an all Windows Network.

Thanks and Regards,
Scott

"It's not that I do my best work under pressure, it's that I ONLY work under pressure!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back