Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should I use VBA, VB.NET OR VB6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VbPanicStation

Technical User
Dec 12, 2004
GB
This is more of a general one. I have developed a database in VBA/ Access 2000 (thanks to a few people on here who gave me some useful tips). It works fine but I'd like to upgrade it to include new features and also enhance existing ones. Eventually, I would like to link it to excel, word, outlook, autocad and windows explorer etc. As I'm a only just starting/ learning programming, I'm not quite sure which development package would be the best to use. Could you please advise me what the pros & cons of using VB.NET, VB6 or VBA access in terms of ease of use, technical support/ assistance etc, limitation of package etc? My gut feeling is to start learning VB.Net as there may be quite a lot of use ful tips on the net? Someone suggested that I use VB6 as I have already got a lot of books and software - my worry here is that I may get stuck as it is no longer supported.

VB would certainly be an easier transition than dot Net but it's a step sideways rather than a step forwards.

Dot Net is a very large step up from VBA and Access.

Try Visual Fox. It's got better data handling than VB and you can download the Beta of Version 9 from the Microsoft site.

Geoff Franklin

VB.Net is where you want to be. Side stepping is only going to keep you thinking in functional decomposition. If you're just learning - it's good to jump into an object oriented platform. It's easy to go backwards, but going from functional decomposition to object orientation isn't fun.

I always recommend to anyone that starts - start with an object oriented language. Function Decomposition is in line thinking, OO takes a bit of readjustment.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

Thanks you two! Please tell me something, having started a project in VB6 and having created forms including controls and some code - would one be able to import/ export this into VB.NET and then carry on working in VB.NET?

VB.Net includes an upgrade wizard that can convert approximately 90% of you code, the remainder of which is flagged for manual fixing.

If you've done any C++ or Java, then .Net is a piece of cake.

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

[sleeping]Unemployed in Houston, Texas

I've noticed that there are different 'packages' that one can buy e.g Standard, Enterprise, professional, architect. Seeing that I'd like use VB.net mainly for the development of database applications - which one should I buy? The standard version is the cheapest but someone told me that it may not have all the tools required for database development stuff, is this true?

They all have the database tools, the more expensive versions just give you more enterprise features like Visio integration for code generation and UML diagramming. If you just want it for yourself you also won't need the features intended for Team Development and source code control.

Here's a link to the sales pitch:

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

One thing that you might want to take into consideration when looking at VB.NET, is that it will only run on certain operating systems, so if the current systems are too old i.e. win 9X then your program will not run.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

m1kee - good point. I tried to install it on Win98 assuming it would run, then I read the box and was shocked to find out it required the NT-based kernel.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS...READ THE DIRECTIONS! [worm]

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

VBSlammer, m1kee - Thanks for your contributions. I really do appreciate it

Another thing I am considering in the upgrade of my database is to redevelop it as an internet based application (internet form front end & access 2000 database) - that way anyone with an internet connection can access it.

Do I need to use Java for this or can I do it all using VB.Net & access (only)?

you should look into ASP.NET & ADO.NET for the web application.
You don't need to buy Visual Studio for developing a web application, you can get free tools.
look up Web Matrix on google.
You can also download a free version of SQL Server MSDE for the database engine, and use web data administrator to manage the DB.
You'll need to pay to get your application online though.

I've never been able to develop a Web application without using some javascript, but ASP.Net can perform whatever you need very easily. If you've already done some traditional ASP there's a lot to learn when you move to ASP.Net, but I fell in love with it after my first project.

One side note, I converted to C# over VB because for Web apps because it just feels more like a Web language (similar to Java).

I haven't tried Web Matrix, but if you're looking to save money the reviews for it have been good.

I like SQL Server over Access, mainly because of the stored procedure support, but if you don't anticipate heavy traffic or massive amounts of data, then Access will do fine, and will also be much less expensive to maintain - because the ISPs charge considerably more for SQL Server support. Most basic accounts support Frontpage extensions and MS Access support, making it a good choice for hobbyist or non-commercial databases.

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back