Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I use SOAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxKommy

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
I'm trying to integrate a web-based progrram into a VB6 program. basically, the VB program sends a ZIP code to my web program, and then the user selects some variables, and the web program outputs up to three options. The user then selects one and i need that data (a company and a price) to get back into VB. I've tried some examples of SOAP but the ones I looked at don't leave room for user input on the web side. Would it be possible for me to use SOAP to accomplish this task, or is there another method that I should look into?

thanks,
lk

SOAP is a technology designed for communicating between one web-server to another server!So obviously you cannot expect to buid user interface application with SOAP..!
Let me give you an example.
If you need to display the stock prices in you own website..what are you going to do? The NY stock Exchange web-server already has components ( if not we can put one there) which takes, say a company's name, and returns the stock price. Now, your web server can request the NY-stock Exchange web-server and get the information from there.This is where SOAP can be applied..one web server communicating with another..! THis is just a simple example! The Web Service in .NET is also all about this I guess !

Hope that helps!
Fixthebug

ok....maybe what i meant wasn't SOAP :)
the examples that i saw used a SOAP envelope with XML, and made a reference to the MS XML library. i guess one question would be, can i make my program wait for a response from the server?

the VB program sends a ZIP code to my [red]web program[/red], and then the user selects some variables, and the web program [red]outputs[/red] up to three options.

Ok that just does not tell me anything. Can you use some standard technical terminology to describe that?

-pete

Right now i use a query string to send the variables. (zipcode and an origin zip code) The ASP page reads these, writes them to session variables and then goes to another stage of the web program. the program needs some more info to determine a freight price, like which type of truck to use, etc. The user has to fill this out. then, the web program determines the prices for up to 3 companies, and the user selects which one by using a radio button next to the company. the buttons are there for now because i also have these results going to another web form. I'd also like this number and company name to be able to get back into my vb program running on the client.

-lk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back