Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I upgrade to XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdiguy

Instructor
Oct 26, 2004
US
I have been using 2000 Pro for a few years, but the other 4 PCs on my network all use XP Home. In addition, I bought a Netgear ST101 network attached storage and it works only on XP. My desktop running 2000 Pro is a Dell Dimension 4300 that exceeds all specs for XP Pro.

Should I upgrade to XP Pro, or wait it out for Vista?

If I do upgrade, should I install over 2000 Pro, or can I install XP Pro to my D hard drive and have a dual-boot system (I don't need one, but could do if the upgrade goes better).

Anyone have any experience upgrading? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Use XP pro!! Vista is great on new machines that come with it. Don't know any one that has had any luck with an upgrade.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

You can have dual boot, if you don't want to get rid of 2000 all together.

Even though you exceed the specs for XP, Vista is a resource hog. You are most likely not gonna make the specs for Vista, or gonna have to sacrifice a lot from it to get it to run if at all.

There's also the the fact that 2000 is getting closer and closer to being unsupported by Microsoft. So you'll end up with a Os that will not run much of anything in the not so distant future.

so yeah you should think about upgrading to XP.

Before you do, you should check to see that all your Hardware has XP driver support.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Sleepsalot said:
Don't know any one that has had any luck with an upgrade.

I've upgraded several W2K boxes to XP Pro without any major issues. The last one was a week ago, and the only issue was that Automatic Updates stopped functioning - that was fixed in thread779-1393383

TazUk

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
Martin Golding

Upgrading isn't a problem: it is just having to put up with the annoying things that XP does everytime it does an upgrade. For instance, switching off messaging. Used to be quite a problem at work as all the 2K users knew when the sandwich van arrived but the XP users, if they got upgraded overnight, never got the message.

The other annoying thing is adding telnet users. It is not a problem on 2K but on XP they have to be part of the telnet users group. Not only that: the group doesn't exist so you have to create it then add users to it.

XP is more secure so DCOM type things for WSH remote take longer to set up.

Try not to install XP from a networked drive if you intend to use active directory. There is a bug which MS have admitted to but haven't released a fix yet. Every so often, it says that the recycle bin is corrupted and asks if you wish to empty it.

Other than that, it is worth upgrading to XP. It seems to be able to find drivers for everything more easily than 2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back