Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angler2229

Technical User
May 3, 2002
US
At work I presently use PM 6.5 on a 5400/180 Power Mac to do our yearbook layouts. Next year I will be getting a Dell 1.6 Ghz PC. I plan on getting PM 7.0 for this computer and the PC laptop I have at home where I do 25 other yearbook layouts (24 of which are PC format).

Will I have problems opening 6.5 files from other schools? Can files be opened in 7.0 and saved as 6.5?

What are your thoughts? Will the 7.0 version advantages outweigh the problems I will have in translation, or should I save my money?

Thanks!

hi,

You won't have problems of opening or saving 6,5 files. But the advantages of version 7 are mainly in the importing capacities of XML and databases. By the way your operating system is very important I believe on the PC. I don't think Pagemaker and windows XP go very well good together.

hope this helps
grillhouse

Thanks, I have been unable to locate a 6.5 version that is unwrapped. Fortunately the new computer will have Win2000 operating system on it.

My main concern was the ability to swap files, work on them, and send them back to the original creator without having any funky translation problems.

Thanks much for your help.

angler2229

Windows 7.0 and XP will get along fine as long as you adhere to some basic concepts during install and use. This also applies to W2K, but is more apropos for XP. Number one, install PM using admin login or as user with admin privileges. After install, you can then make the user with admin priv's a power user and take away the admin.. if you don't do these steps, PM attempts to write to areas that are off limits to basic users, this is part of the XP security design. Since PM7.0 is merely a re-hashed PM6.5 which was designed for Win98, it was never designed for the type of permissions and system archetecture that you find in XP. Many people do use it with no problem whatsoever.

This is an excellent page on using PM with XP.

If you do not use PM7.0s new features (there are only a few differences, such as the ability to place Illustrator AI files and Photoshop PSD files) then you can simply rename the PM7.0 doc to .p65 and open it in PM6.5 with no problem whatsoever. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

And don't forget the new data merge function which lets you merge tabbed(7.0.1) or comma(7.0) delimited files for mailing lists, etc. Plus all the import-export plugins work with the newer software of today and the newest pantone colors are on the disk(you'll have to manually install them from your harddrive).

One more thing, if you decide to install PM 6.5 on XP, do not install ATM 4.0. It will corrupt a font registry and basically, you would have to reinstall XP to correct it. ATM Light shouldn't be installed at all on XP actually. XP has it's own built in ATM that rasterizes and lets you install type 1, opentype and true-type fonts. However, you'll still have to use ATM 4.1 if you're purchasing Multiple Master fonts.

You might want to get this update also. It specifically mentions PM 6.52(and alot of other programs), but it should help with 7.0 also.

Go to and search for Q308381

As long as you follow viol8in's tip on installing 7.0 on xp and you select the typical install option, 7.0 works great on XP.

- Adobe Bob

Ahh.. Adobe Bob's identity finally revealed?!!

Absolutely do not install or use ATM 4.0 Lite on XP. ATM4.1 Deluxe should not cause any problems with XP, in my experience. However, with XP, it is just as easy to use it's ATM feature. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

My new Dell will have Win2000 because that is the system our techs use for the whole district. Hopefully I won't run into any of the problems described in your posts.

Thanks all for the info!

angler2229

angler,

As long as you install PM7.0 (PM6.5 is not certified for W2K) as admin or with admin priv's, you should be okay. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back