Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I update from IE 5.5 to 6.0? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancepsGuerrero

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
Currently I'm using IE 5.5 (with all patches) and I am thinking of upgrading to 6.0, however in view of all the problems AOL has had in the past with some of its new versions I thought I'd better wait and let the fur fly elsewhere before doing it myself. Is 6.0 as good as Microsoft wants us to believe????? in other words should I bother or not...

Thank you all!!!! [smile]

Why not, you could always remove IE6 anyways but if you really want a good browser....go with Mozilla. You can't beat the build in pop up/under stopper and the tab browsing. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Just from my own experience, my answer is a resounding no! Many users have apparently gone up to 6.0 with great success and no problems, but I can see in multiple threads on this site alone, that I am not the only one who wishes they'd never upgraded! I wish I could tell you the actual detials in real correct terms etc., but it's beyond me - al I know is that it worked fine, then I upgrade (HAH) , then it was insufferable. Read the thread here called "IE6 locks up when a new window pops up or is opened", to learn more if you're interested. It's been quite an ordeal, one that I wouldn't wish on anyone else. So whatever you do, use caution and maybe think about holding out a while longer if your 5.5 is coasting along nicely.
just my 2 cents!
Rebecca

Well my gut feeling was that Microsoft has screwed up so badly in the past that I should at least wait several years till they iron out the inevitable bugs and close the loopholes, but since the security aspect is taken care of by Norton I couldn't see much point in upgrading, (also I'm a firm believer in the devil you know is better than the one you don't). I will definitely check out Mozilla, I read about it in Wall St. Journal (wasn't it there that they did the browser comparison?)
anyway I really appreciate your help, I can always count on this forum for answers...[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back