Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

should i throw out my monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocoutts

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
GB
I have had my monitor for 3 years, and the last 6 months it has been really playing up. I would just like some advice from people on whether its a "monitor" problem or something else.
I get lines down the screen (similar to when a cell/mobile phone is next to it). These lines get so bad, they can make the desktop jump furiously up and down that doing work is frustrating.
It has got worse in the last 6 weeks. It used to be a brief occurrence now its as soon as I switch on my PC.
I have cleaned the graphics card, moved my PC around the room, but it makes no difference.
A guy in a computer shop told me it was definitely the monitor, but others on help forums have said it sounds like interference.
Would others recommend me to buy a new monitor? Or could the same thing happen? I am moving in a few months time, so I could hold out to see if the same things happen. But I often work from home and this problem interferes with my work.

It definitely sounds like the monitor. The cable that connects it to the pc has probably gone bad. If your cable doesn't detach from the back of the monitor (built-in), then you're looking at getting a new one.

I'd recommend borrowing a friend's monitor to test it out first before you invest in another one (or perhaps take your monitor over to another location to test).
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I agree with cdogg. Test you PC with a different monitor or test your monitor with a different pc before you go out and by new harware. This way you know for sure if your monitor is bad.

RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back