Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I go to 1G Memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I have a dell poweredge 400 sc running Win2000Pro with P4 2.4G and 128M ram, and am thinking about upgrading ram. Should I go to 512M or 1G? Will there be a performance boost from 512M to 1G?

Thanks in advance.

seaport

What applications do you run on the system?

If you are using office type applications, (ie word/excel/powerpoint/outlook) then you won't see much benefit from over 512Mb, even with reasonably heavy multitasking.
If however you are into serious video/graphics/sound editing, multimedia etc, then 1Gb will be beneficial.

I would definitely upgrade though from 128Mb to something. My system has 384Mb and has 200Mb free at startup, so the system uses 128Mb for its own use, leaving the rest for applications and data.

Jo9hn

John,

The majority of my work is VB and VC++ programming. I might do some simple graphics design, but it is no more than using photoshop. So I think 512M is right for me.

Thanks.

seaport

Are you using something like Visual Studio? If so, yes you definitely want at least 512 megs. I was running VisualStudio.NET with 2kPro on 256M and when I ramped up to 768M I noticed a huge pick up in speed.

128M on a modern machine is just inexcusable, that is for sure...

I don't think you'll get much of an argument that it is better to have 1G over 512MB. The question becomes what are you willing to spend? Based on what you mention, I believe 512MB is just fine for you. Assuming your machine can accept 1G, having more won't hurt anything except maybe your bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back