Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Allow me to explain...

Soon I'll start a job at home that requires me to use Windows 10 Home.
At the moment I have a pc that came with Win10 already. I have 3 accounts, for each of us in the family.
I do have backups of the whole HD of course.

But to keep things even smoother and further from technical difficulties along the way, would it be a good idea to get another HD with its own copy of Win10 boot from. That way if something goes south with the personal HD, it won't affect my work HD.
Or should there be no reason to expect such problems on the first place?
Or there is a better solution?

Thanks guys!

You don't need another WIN10, just a reinstall on a new drive using the same install media.
Haven't seen any drive caddys recently but they would be the ideal way to operate. Power down, swap drive, power up. I do this with a laptop where the drive slides out since the locking screw is left off.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I do have a Restoration USB drive sent from Acer. Except I don't have the Activation Key number. I believe it's embedded in the the HD.
So if I install Win10 elsewhere, I would need the Activation Key number.
Someone was also suggesting getting a used/refurbished SFF desktop with Win10 on it already and use it with a KVM switch with my personal pc. I found some for like $120 US.

I still have over a month to come to a decision.

Thanks for sharing edfair :)

JDL

You can reinstall Windows 10 on a different hard drive in the same computer without a problem from the USB stick. The Windows 10 is keyed to your hardware and will be automatically activated as long as you aren't putting it on a different computer.

So you COULD do the hard drive in the removable caddy as suggested. If this is not a laptop then no issues. If it's a laptop, there has to be a caddy made for the laptop and it has to be able to boot from the removable caddy.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The activation key is NOT stored on your hard drive. It is stored on the BIOS chip. However what I would do if I wanted to keep it separate and I had an available drive bay is simply install win 10 on a second drive and make my machine dual boot.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Wow! I love your idea Beilstwh!
This means that I could use the same key number for both installations, right?
'Cause what matters to MS after all, is that I'm not using 2 key numbers at the same time.

Well, this would be the best and most affordable way to start.
Then in a few months when the job feels stable enough (and I have more $), then I could consider getting the SFF refurbished pc with a KVM switch.

Thanks a bunch for sharing Beilstwh :)

I never said the Windows 10 key was stored on your hard drive or we're you talking to the OP.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

goombawaho,
I was talking to the OP. Of course you know it

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back