Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I b able 2 use Linux as g'way for my netwk without xtra config

Status
Not open for further replies.

afgs

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
GB
I have set up a server with SuSE Linux 8.0 Professional. But I am by no means a professional when it comes to Linux.

I have an ADSL business 500 plus with the standard BT black box router.
Here is my network config.

eth0 - 217.###.###.### (outside address)
eth1 - 151.128.1.253 (inside address)

Nameserver is the IP address of the BT router.

I can browse the internet from the server itself.
I can ping the server from anywhere on the Internet.

QUESTION - what do i have to do to be able to browse the internet from a pc on the same network using the Linux server and it's connection?

cat >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

to enable ip forwarding. have your clients use the linux box as a gateway. You do have a firewall, don't you? Check out

I will suggest you use iptable to do Network Address Translation (NAT), that way would be more secure and all of the internal workstation can share one valid Internet IP address.

You can find lots of documentation and examples scripts from Internet. Just do a simple search in google.com with keywork "Linux iptable sample".

Good luck!

Sunshine

I have another suggestion that would make your life a little easier. If you are NOT a linux pro then try out ClarkConnect ( You can download for free a boot disk maker. Put the bootdisk in the PC you want to act as a server or g'way. The PC will reboot, connect to the clarkconnect server and download a full RH 7.2 distro and install it. It will automatically configure Apache, Samba, IP forwarding etc. It found my NIC's and configured them without a single mishap. It comes with apt-get (do a google search this is an awesome app) and webmin, snort firewall and more.
Easiest install ever.

afgs, I would suggest following jaymzter's advice

i also have a server connected to the net via ADSL. i'm using SuSE pro 7.3 and a standard firewall/router (not BT, though).

does your router support NAT?

we found that enabling NAT on the router was the simplest solution as we were only connecting a few browser machines and a server, as they are 'invisible' to the outside world. You can then add a hub to the LAN side of the router and connect the browser machines via the hub. that way all the machines on your network can browse the net without worrying about OS issues.

But this solution is only practical for a small network that can be easily monitored, up to about twenty machines at a guess.

hope that was helpful [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back