Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shotgunning dial-up modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyberto

Technical User
May 12, 2003
CA
Hello all,

I have two modem installed and properly configured in my win xp pro machine and when i try to multilink, one modem gives me the error 633: the modem is already in use. the modems are both AOpen fs56-svv v92 PCI modem. I am wondering if this is an XP issue or if i am overlooking a required setting. I have two separate phone lines. the modems are configured with separate COM ports.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

You are probably suffering from the "feature" of WinModems. The controllerless modems that are made for Windows use a technique that basically broadcasts on the PCI bus, rather than communicating with a specific bus addresss. Not using a PCI controller makes these modems extremely cheap, but at the cost of not being able to install more than 1 in any given PCI bus.

You need to do one of the following:

Install an ISA modem.
Install a (or two?) controller-type PCI modem.
Install an external modem.

I will caution you that if you choose to use USB modems with WinXP, there is an issue that must be patched prior to using any USB serial device that will handle high volume traffic (web browsing definitely falls in this category).

Follow this thread for more info:

pansophic

so basically I need a hardware modem to ba able to multilink over it.

thanks for your response it was very appreciated.

You just can't have two WinModems in the machine. I have used a RocketModem (4 or 6 modems on a single PCI card) with great success, but I wasn't doing multilink stuff, just connecting to multiple remote sites simultaneously.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back