Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortfilename problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

steevan16

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2005
GB
Hi, I have been facing shortfile name problem. Whenever I copy a folder from my WinXp machine to Win 2K server, all the files within the folder gets renamed to shortfile names with ~1.extn ~2.extn etc. Is there any way to prevent this or to bring them back to original name format ? Thanks in Advance Steevan

Hi, Steevan

How are you doing the copy?

The only way I know to make that hapen is to use the command line COPY or XCOPY command and use the /N option, which means to create short filenames.

If that is how you are doing the copy then don't use /N.

Jock

Hi Jock, thanks for your reply.

I would like to mention that I am performing a normal windows file copy(Copy paste) operation. The server share is mapped to my local machine.

At the end of copy, all the files such as .doc, .msi appear in short filename format. Due to our operational requirement, normally all file names under this share are sufficiently long. For eg. 800000342_HumBirdBIQueryAdmin851SP6BIBroker_Build Install Guide_V1.03.doc. They end up with name 800000~1.doc etc.

Regards,

Steevan

Hi Steevan

Well, it sounds like the share resides on a volume which does not support long file names, for example a FAT volume.

If that is the case then maybe you could zip the folder contents into an archive first, give the archive an 8.3 filename and copy it to the server's share. The files inside the archive would still have their long names when extracted elsewhere.

Jock

IF your an expwerienced admin or can get your network admin to, take a look at the fsutil program. It comes with XP pro. One function it does is disable the 8.3 filename creation. I did a help search on short file names in XP Pro and came up with this program. Don't know if fsutil will work on a win2k server or not, but it's worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back