Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut with EXE path > 64 chars 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
I'm running into a problem (more generic one than a 8.1 one, though, but it's happening there), that I'm not seeing a solution to - perhaps just not putting the right things into the search engine...anyhow, how do you do a successful shortcut to an EXE that's greater than 64 characters (I found this limit out through testing)? What I get right now when the EXE path is > 64 characters is that it just does nothing...

Any help on what to do to solve this?

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Shortcut? As in one of those .LNK files or something else?

"Path?" Are you talking about the simple name being > 64 chars? People have long paths all the time.

Can you Rename the .exe to something else, something a bit shorter? Does it have to be 64 characters in name?

Can you use the 8.3 naming convention?

"Note: Although disabling 8.3 file name creation increases file performance under Windows, some applications (16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit) may not be able to find files and directories that have long file names."

How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions

Maybe your other post will prove fruitful.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Got it figured out. Thanks.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

You should post HOW you figured it out for the benefit of others.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

It's unrelated to 8.1 overall. After the responses I got, I figured I'd try a similar case with a different program and got it to work. Turns out (this was a shortcut to one of my programs), I was triggering a special case that I thought was fixed in one of my modules, but ended up with an old version of code somehow (guess I forgot to copy it to my library directory after I changed it). Basic result was the program was doing absolutely nothing and confusing me in the process - no window, no messages, nothing. Old version replaced, shortcut works now.

Again wasn't relevant, but you wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back