Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut to program flashes when double-clicked but then nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmar

MIS
Mar 24, 2007
US
I have a few programs that users from outside of our company access via Terminal Server. We have a shortcut on their desktop to the Setup.exe where I compile the program when I make changes so that they are always running the latest version.

On Monday, all of the users on those servers are unable to access the programs. When they double-click on the shortcut it just flashes and then nothing happens. They've run for years without an issue. I can get them to run by right-clicking on the shortcut and changing the compatibility mode but once they log out and back in, that gets reset and we're back to square one.

One odd thing is that once I fix one of the programs via the compatibility mode trick, all of the other programs start working. Of course after I log out and back in, none work.

The only change we've made is that last week we installed Sophos antivirus on our servers. My IT guy checked the Sophos settings and these programs aren't listed to be blocked or are quarantined or anything.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on?

Just to add to the above.

We have several local users who run the programs from their PC and none are having this issue. It is only happening on the Terminal Servers. Also, I created a bat file to run the program in compatibility mode for XPSP2 and that didn't work (XPSP2 was the compatibility mode I used to change the shortcut, which would work until the user logged out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back