Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut to local drive that I can copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
While I suspect this has more to do with WinXP than Win2k3, I didn't see a more appropriate forum :(

I create some shortcuts to open MS Access with a target pointing to the local Access program file with additional command line switches. Works great. Then I copy it to a Win2k3 share... Looks fine. Finally I copy onto another Windows XP machine and instead of having a target that looks like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\..."
it looks like "\\<Original Machine name>\c$\Program Files\Microsoft Office\..." . I of course want it to maintain the literal absolute reference instead of making this change.

I can of course manually edit the shortcut but that defeats the purpose of making it more accessible.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

on the share: right click > create shortcut and then point it. Dont copy. It tries to re-establish the link.

Thanks Scott that is exactly what I needed. Although I think the other suggestion would work too, it is less elegant.

you should also be able to use
%ProgramFiles%\....

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back