Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut button for £ sign on US keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2012
GB
[ignore]Hi

I have a user with Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop , with a Singapore keyboard . He needs to use the £ sign often, and wanted to know if there is a way I can assign the £ symbol to an F key or somehow add a button to the Windows 7 Toolbar , that when clicked will insert the £ symbol into current document.

Hope this make sense.

thanks
[/ignore]

If it has a programmable key on the keyboard, you might be able to set up a macro.

[ignore]£ or € can be copied and pasted via the Character Map program[/ignore]

[ignore]On my Keyboard, the Euro symbol can be accessed within Windows by using the Alt key+0128 and the Pound symbol by Alt + 0163. The numbers must be typed using the keys under the Num Lock part of the Keyboard not the top numbers on the main part of the Keyboard.

Alt + 156 = £ too

£ or € can be copied and pasted via the Character Map program[/ignore]

[ignore]Unfortunately, ALT+numeric key sequence does not work on laptops without numeric keypads. If your laptop is one of those that is wide enough for a numeric keypad, then consider yourself lucky.

If you tell the system that it is a UK keyboard, then shift 3 will give you a £ sign and, as BRPS said altgr 4 will give you the € sign. The problem with this approach is that the @, ", `, \, |, # and ~ may possibly play musical chairs, so it is just pure guesswork to figure out where they have gone.[/ignore]

[ignore]For £ try, if you are on US International keyboard (you need to select this from regional settings), use shift AltGr 4.[/ignore]

Many laptops withut num pads have a function key that turns part of the regular keyboard into the number pad.

In my case holding down fn key turns the:

7 8 9 0
u i o p
j k l ;
m . /

keys into the number pad keys:
7 8 9 *
4 5 6 -
1 2 3 +
0 . /

with which using the alt-gr key you can get the ascii characters.

so fn + alt-gr + ####

The character map in Windows is also a good tool.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back