Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Short cuts for creating filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclidad

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
Hi,

We are running version 11.5 on an XP machine. All the systems we back up are linux servers. I've got questions on how best to manage filters. One top-level directory has only 2 subdirectories we want to exclude. I do this by excluding a "Directory Pattern". It's clean and easy and it works. We have another top-level directory with close to 200 subdirectories. In this one only 10 or so get backed up. Even if we use wildcards in our exclude patterns that's a lot of entries. I can use the checkboxes to only include those subdirectories but this has a problem. If a new subdirectory is added it won't be backed up. If my exclude patterns are too general I can miss the new subdirectory. (I hope this makes sense so far). Is there some clever way I can get the subdirectories I want plus any new ones that are added? I can always add new subdirectories manually but I'd like it to happen automatically. I'd rather need to intervene to exclude something than to have to take steps to add it.

A related question is this, You can add filters by clicking on the host name that will use them or by clicking on a directory that will use them. When I add them to a directory I never see them show up in the Job Detail window. When do these filters apply?

Thanks.

I've got a partial solution to my problem. It works because 99% of our backups include/exclude the same directories. There is a file on the linux side that controls what can be included in a backup. The default place is

/opt/CA/BABuagent/uag.cntl

It's a text file that has a list of directories to exclude from a backup.

/home/user1/foo
/home/user2/bar

and so on.

This says that no matter what the server asks for do not include these files in the backup. Because it's a plain text file it's very easy to modify. We can even get clever with pre and post scripts that run from the unix side to modify the file when needed. The only downside to this approach is that it applies to EVERY job that runs on this client. Given our current usage this is not a problem.

- Joel

I do the reverse, I don't exclude I include things, I only do documents and settings on C: and the whole d: of personal computers so I select the entire computer (C: & D:)
and use the following filters.

include directory pattern c:\documents and setting\*
inclue directory pattern d:*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back