Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shoretel phones 802.1Q tagging not working on Cisco network gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
DOing a new install, v12.1. Displacing a Cisco Call Manager. The Cisco network gear has the switchport voice vlan xxx option activated on the ports. I believe this work with the CDP on the Cisco phones so it knows how to tag their packets.

So, when I configured a Shoretel phone and activated 802.1Q and entered the VLAN ID, the switch appears to ignore that tag and puts the phone in the data vlan and does some other strange stuff like changing the FTP IP to 0.0.0.0 even though it's been entered on the phone.

I have verified I am using the correct VLAN ID and if we configure the port to be only in the VLAN for the phones it works. ANything I am missing? They do not appear to be using LLDP.

We enabled option 156 but there is still a problem. When the reboots father getting the info from the option it still pulls an access Vlan ip and can't see the shoreware server. If I hard code it with the ip it pulls it can see the server. I'm thinking that the 802.1Q tag is causing a issue since its tagged now for the voice Vlan but is getting an ip in the access Vlan.

Network or dhcp issue at this point??

Are you sure your phones can see the DHCP server for the voice vlan? I had a similar problem but once I put in the voice vlan in the phones they seemed to pick up the voice DHCP server which is being hosted on a Cisco router. The phones will take whatever DHCP packet that arrives first.

I was also using Cisco switches.

THey have gotten it to work on some of the switches but not all at this point. We have to tag at the phone for the locations that work, the other we had to hard code.

We also ran into an issue with the phones locking up during the DHCP stage and so far what I am hearing is that this is caused by the uplink port to the DHCP server being setup as a trunk port instead of an access port. It causes a two DHCP messages to be transmitted. Not sure how this fits into the scenario when a Cisco router is being used as a DHCP server, but we will wait and see if the customer can make a change and if that resolves this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back