Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shopping site(s) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
I'd posted this in the HTML/CSS forum, and was suggested to try here.

I have a client who already has an online store through yahoo. Gets some hits, but wants to increase his sales. He has been comtemplating setting up something with amazon (he sells dog grooming dvd's) - but I'm not sure if that's really going to increase his sales. I don't know anyting about an amazon setup, and their online info is a little confusing as to what you have to do to get going.

Any ideas?

From what I can see of his server logs, most of the hits he gets are from google and yahoo searches.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Donna

It seems a small number of hits for his products. He's said that he is getting a few sales, but would like to increase. The client did recently get UPCs for his products.

What he's asking my advice is whether to spend money with Amazon, or continue with his present site and try further promoting it.

Most of his hits are from searches for dog grooming products - kits or how-to's.

I really don't have much experience with all of the promotion.

Would there be any direction you could point me to see competitors in what seems to be a small, targeted area (dog grooming, I mean)?

Thanks,
donna

Certainly seems a niche market and with some good SEO the right site should show some great results.

Amazon is a bit hit and miss, some products will do very well others it isn't worth the time setting up the feed.
The product also needs to have a very good markup otherwise the commission Amazon take, makes a large dent in the sale price.

Without having a URI to look at it's difficult to estimate how much work or the scope that would be involved to optimise the site.
Each site/marketplace is individual and pointing in one direction maybe totally ineffectual.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks, Chris.

I'd pretty much figured the Amazon thing was going to take up most of the profits he was hoping to gain.

I'll go for promoting his current area.

A star to you.

Thanks,
Donna

Doog grooming DVD's seem to be a very focused item. It might behove your client to offer the tools of the trade as well to increase the sales. Perhaps a dropship arraingement of some sort.

Life would be so much easier if I only had the source code.

Thanks, Mama - does sell grooming tools as well. I think we may be trying to expand his offerings in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back