Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shopping Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
US
I would like to know if it is possible to create a shopping cart that does not use cookies or session variables? I have a cookie based cart on my website and we have lots of customers who say "I could not get it to go into my cart" I want to eliminate this problem if possible.

Shelly

Yes! I ran into exactly this problem doing the back end of a site for someone who was hosted on WorldCom, or WebCom.... it was a few years ago and I don't remember exactly who it was but I do remember that they did not allow any server side scripting whatsoever. Everything had to be done on the client side. You can build a functional cart using only JavaScript and a hidden frame. You just need to use forms in the main frame to alter the contents of a form in the hidden frame. Then, when the shopper is ready to "check out", the "check out" button is used to submit the form in the hidden frame back to the main frame. It's certainly not the most efficient way to accomplish the task, but it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back