Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shocked my computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestboy

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
US
I installed a new heatsink/fan on my CPU, started up the comp and everything is happy. It dropped the temperature by about 25 degrees which is great. So I'm sitting in the BIOS monitoring the temperature and go to put the side of the case on. The instant I touch the side of the case with piece I'm about to put on the computer shuts off. I must have shocked it.

So now when I try to start up the computer NOTHING happens. Nothing starts up, no fans spin, nothing. Actually that's not quite accurate. There is a little LED on the motherboard which lights up when I power on the computer, and shuts off as I hold down the power button for 5 seconds (which is how you would normally force the pc to shut off). Other than that little yellow LED there is no life coming from my computer.

I'd like to hope someone can narrow down the problem for me. Obviously the computer is getting power due to that little LED. But even the case fan that is plugged directly into the power source and isn't going through the motherboard at all isn't spinning when I hit the power button. The connection from the power button, to the motherboard is obviously ok, since I can control that LED. I did let the computer sit for about 5 minutes before trying again, and there was no change. My thought was that the LED was just using residual charge built up in a capacitor or something and not actually getting power from the outlet. I guess I can test this by unplugging the comp and seeing if the LED stays lit. I will do that. But assuming that my computer doesn't start tomorrow morning (why should it?) does anyone have a suggestion as to the next step?

I apologize, I saw the "PC will not start" thread below only after I posted this one. I will try those solutions and get back to you all with an update.

Power supply!
Enough said!
Dought a static shot to the case would do anything, thats why it is earthed, unless you touched the internal components. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Indeed. Disconnect the power connecter to the motherboard, and the back of the machine from the wall. I don't know if the LED gains it's power from the battery and the battery from the PSU ?

As said above though your PSU is your most lucky culprit.

The L.E.D gets it's power from the PSU but just because it is illuminated doesn't mean the PSU isn't faulty.
Just a thought!
I know you said you had just fitted a heatsink/fan, R U absolutely sure you fitted it the correct way around?
Cutout in the base of the heatsink over the Zif socket A writing (I know you said you were checking the temp at the time) Athlons pop in 7 seconds flat if the heatsink is not fitted squarely. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Yes, I'm sure I got the heat sink on correctly. So even though the LED is gaining power from the power supply unit (psu?) the PSU could still be faulty? That must be it since the case fan isn't running either. And yes I only touched the side of the case, not any components. Hmm, guess it's time to shell out $50 for a new power supply. Thanks everybody!

I agree with paparazi. "Power supply! Enough said!" It was just happened that when you touched the case, it went off. I had the same problem and as you said, the light on my motherboard also stayed on. Go get a new power supply and you will be fine.

But you may also want to check that the ground for the case is truly a ground and not floating because some contact is failing or recepticle wire left off. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Can you elaborate edfair? Also, I am fairly new to the whole PC hardware scene and am unsure as to what my requirements are for a new power supply. The one that came with the case is a 300W AMD approved one. I am using an AMD XP 2000+ CPU. Where is a good place online/offline to buy a new powersupply? Thanks for all your help!

Static charge on anything touching the case should dissapate to an earth ground (pipe into the ground or copper water pipe at the building entrance)if the power supply case is connected to the u shaped ground wire in the power cable which is in turn connected to the earth ground.
Only way to check it is with a meter, but if you aren't familiar with electricity don't mess with it, you can hurt yourself. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You can try taking all of the PCI cards out and seeing if the power starts up. If the Fan on the CPU quits on some motherboards it will cut off automatically. Then there is the possibility a jumper fell out.

I have replaced a modem once and the power supply blew when I turned it back on. The power kind of worked for a while. The fans would come on and a couple of lights. I hit the power switch and it just quit working. They give up when they want to. Ive heard if a PCI card grounds out just right or touches another one next to it it can short out the power supply. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Power supply issues can best be resolved by first checking your voltages with a decent multimeter (note I did not say expensive). Common sense dictates safety.Required voltage will be listed on the PSU case. If not-any PC hardware book or website will list both them and the acceptable voltage ranges.Before I run off and spend any money on a power supply I always check the fuse that is inside the unit. Drain the capacitors by unplugging from the electical service and holding the on/off switch in for 1 minute. DO NOT ASSUME that this has drained it tho when in the case. There is always the possibility of a bad switching circuit or faulty switch. You know...just be careful.

THANK YOU ALL! I'm amazed at the outpouring of tech support here. Very very nice. I purchased a new power supply unit and now everything is working splendidly. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back