Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shipping A Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simian888

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2004
CA
Has anyone had experience shipping servers accross seas? I need to ship 5 servers and only have a couple boxes but wondered if anyone had shipped with FedEx or UPS and had them to the packaging?

Thanks for any info,
Al

No experience but...

Had a fragile item (550 lbs) delivered with tilt sensors on the box (2 axis) such as in the link below, great idea...the Gorillas can't play with your shiment at all. Delivery was by Fedex ground, not a scratch on the box.
I would specify a particular person must sign for them, not just anyone in the receiving department. If I were packing them, I would get 1" or more thick, dense foam boards from Home Depot or a lumber yards to line the boxes.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

We have shipped a lot of computer equipment from CRTs to lcds, from small servers to larger servers and even plotters and they've always arrived intact. We however shipped on palets that probably end up in containers and travel by sea. Put some solid foam around your equipment. Some companies use the fast expansion foam like the ones you would use around the rough opening for a window and the window itself.

We have had our shipping nightmares with different vendors. UPS destroyed a new PE6850. Fedex Custom Critical dropped a whole rack of PE2850's and another vendor that I can't recall dropped a brand new DMX2000 off of a truck. My recommendation would be to ship when the stars are in alignment, the horoscope has only good news and you have a very good insurance policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back