Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell scripting SQL book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handle789

Technical User
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hi,

I am looking for books that have plenty of examples on using unix shell scripting with embedded SQL statements inside the shell scripts. I haven't yet found a good book either on amazon.com or through google search. I already have books on either shell scripting or on SQL as separate topics. What I need is a book that has good examples on using both of them together. For example, a shell script that inserts a thousand rows of data into an oracle table. Thanks for your pointers.

I doubt if such a specific book exists (but am quite prepared to be shot down!). Generally, such shell scripts are used to 'set the scene', ie setting things like environment variables ($ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_SID, $PATH etc) so that the SQL script runs successfully againsts the correct instance and 'knows' where to find things such as sqlplus. This is particularly relevant to scipts run via cron, where the vanilla environment is minimal to say the least.

I have examples at work which I'll post on Monday if no-one else chips in beforehand. However, hope this helps in the first place.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Have a look here:
faq80-2224

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

That, PHV, is excellent - thanks for pointing it out.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Thank you for the FAQ. I found a few short articles below.

Below is the URL of an Oracle shell scripting book. But most of the book talks about stuffs that you can easily find in other beginner's unix shell scripting books. For example, from the table of contents, chapters 1-5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 16, and most of chapter 8 are in most unix shell scripting books (that's 2/3 of the book). The remaining chapters are more related to a DBA's basic tasks, but not what an SQL programmer needs. The book doesn't contain many pages (and also talks about Linux?). So it may not be worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back