Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell scripting book

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickyBit

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
CA
Folks,

I'm looking for a good Shell Scripting book to learn shell scripting. I have programming experience and need to transfer those skills into the shell environment, any suggestions.

Thanks,

StickyBit.

Well it depends, I got a SAM'S shell scripting book, a couple of years ago. I have no other programming expirience and am most effective in bash. There are many Unix shells including C as you know, and Perl in case you didnt know.
I dont know either of the two languages so I could not give you a reference to a book that allows you to excersise your perl or c skills into a c-shell, or perl-shell.

I do know one thing, it helped me a bit. I do most things in bash and dont really do any kind of migration to other shells from my normal shell. Some students at school bug me about that alot. Their teachers give them off the wall projects to transliterate and migrate data from the c-shell to the korn-shell, and the book I learned from does not cover that.

Shell programming is actually easier than C++, C, Perl and other languages, its very much like BASIC. You should not find it hard, if all else fails, goto the boring manual pages on what ever shell you want to learn about.

I would strongly recommend the O'Reilly series for shell programming. If you already have a background in programming, perhaps you would be interested in a more portable language such as Perl. You can accomplish a script in literally 1/4th the time and Perl goes with any UNIX-based backbone. Learning Perl, 3rd edition, from O'Reilly is where I'd start. The best part about this series is, as you progress in learning, there are huge amounts of info from the Perl Cookbook as well as intermediate learning - all from the same people. In addition, they have sed, awk Programming help/ tcsh, csh shell scripting and a host of others. Their website is their name if you want to check them out. Food for thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back