Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell Scrap Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclepink

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
hi folks,
there is a file named scrap.tif on my desktop and has a tif extension, though it does not open in any imaging software. so far what i could gather from the internet is that these scrap files may have malicious code. this file is in my documents and settings folder in my name folder desktop. any idea what it could be and if at all its a virus what is the safest way to get rid of that. and also how could it possibly come to my desktop. i used to have kazaa on my computer but i got rid of that because it was making the computer slower and was installing a lot of junk spy software. does anybody know of the best way to clean up the hard drive without reformatting.
thanks
pink

Are you using any software by Vision or Artari, these two products have Scrap.tif associated with them.

What size is this file and what properties has it?

Probably OK just to delete it completely from your machine. You could save it to a floppy for short term safe keeping.

Files that carry the virus as a scrap object usually have a .shs extension. This extension is dangerous as it is always hidden from view. See

XP provides Disk Cleanup to maintain your hardrive. Along with regular Disk Defragmenting.
You could use the Search program to look for any files that are zero byte size. And use it to search for old temporary files that are hanging around.

There are several "clean up" third party programs available on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back