Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell API call list

Status
Not open for further replies.

visitors

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
SG
From WEST-WIND.com
You can also call the Shell API's COM interface to access all sorts of interesting Windows functionality:
o = CREATEOBJECT("Shell.Application")
o_Open("*** Fire up Windows Dialogs modally
o.SetTime()
o.FindFiles()
o.ShutDownWindows()

1.Where can I find all the list of shell application call name ?
e.g.0.setTime(), o.findfiles()

2.Can I use API call to copy file from web site to my hard disk ?

Where can I find all the list of shell application call name ?

You can use VB's Object Browser to explore the Shell COM Object model. I believe the reference is 'Microsoft Shell Controls and Automation' for Win98. If you arent familiar with the Obect Browser, I gave a brief explanation in a previous thread in this forum. Just do a search to find it.

For documentation, refer to the link Rick posted.

Can I use API call to copy file from web site to my hard disk ?

I dont believe so, but someone else might not for fact. You can use wwIPStuff from WestWind. It has an FTP object that is basically a wrapper for WinInet.dll.

FWIW, use the FileSystemObject of the Windows Scripting Host for moving/copying files. Jon Hawkins
jonscott8@yahoo.com

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

Can I use API call to copy file from web site to my hard disk ?

I dont believe so, but someone else might not for fact. You can use wwIPStuff from WestWind. It has an FTP object that is basically a wrapper for WinInet.dll.

FWIW, use the FileSystemObject of the Windows Scripting Host for moving/copying files.

jON, CAN GIVE EXAMPLES FOR MOVING/COPYING FILE ?

THANK YOU

Check out in the Newsletters of the last 4/5 months, a series of articles by George Tasker and Ed Rauh has been published about using the Shell.Application Object and the windows script host.

To be able to use the Shell.Application Object, you need a version of shell32.dll >= 4.71 (installed with Explorer 4.01, Windows 98 and 2000).
For the Windows scripting host you need version 2.0, which is installed with Windows 2000, Explorer 4 & 5, Windows NT 4.0, SP 3 and DCOM

Some examples:
Using the Shell.Application Object
Code:
oShell = CREATEOBJECT("Shell.Application")
oFolder = oShell.NameSpace( "C:\CopyTo" )
oFolder.CopyHere( "C:\CopyFrom\*.TXT" )

Using the Windows Script Host
Code:
oFSO = CREATEOBJECT("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
oFSO.CopyFolder( <source folder>, <target folder> [, overwrite] )
oFSO.MoveFiles( <source file(s)>, <destination file(s)> )

More info on the Shell.Applicaton object can be found in the SHELLCC.CHM help file (MSDN Library)

More info on the Windows Script Host, see VBSCRIP5.CHM and WSH.CHM (MSDN Library)

Additional links on API-calls can be found in this forum; fe: Windows API Guide: Diederik Vermeeren
verm1864@exact.nl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back