Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPNing

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
Please forgive me. I am a windows guy tring to resolve a mac problem.
I have a customer running OSX 10? (Hope that is right) She has purchased a large external USB 2.0 HDD that she wants to share with another mac computer. Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I searched help and it said that you could only share a folder. No mention of a drive.
Any input would be greatly appeciated.

You can share anything in OSX natively but it is typically from the user's home folder (like in Windows XP). You can recommend this to your user:

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Tidbit books has an arm called "Take Control Books" which are PDF and cheap (5 to 10 dollars). They have one dedicated to sharing OSX files and desktop.

They have others that are worth checking out for anyone with a Mac and OSX. THey also offer a few Windows books but mostly Mac.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

On the startup drive in the mac go to User. There's a folder named Shared. Make an alias of the mounted outboard drive by either right clicking or control clicking on it to bring up the contextual menu. Select Make Alias.

Move the slias of the outboard drive to the Shared folder. It should now be available to other machines. Make sure the user turns on personal file sharing in Apple menu/System Preferences/Sharing.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back