Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Win2000 on workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sshaker

Vendor
Nov 7, 1999
AU
I hope someone can help me with my query. I was running 95, 98se and 98me on network with 95 box (irene) requiring password to access drives through workgroup. Password was "home" for full access and "my" for read only access. I installed win2000 Pro over the top of the win95 o/s (irene)and now I can't even access the only printer on the network because password isn't working. Didn't need a password to print from other PC's prior to w2000. Now I can look out from (irene - win2000) but cannot get in to look or print.
I know it is something silly but just can't figure it out.
Win2000 required a password to log on as Irene but that doesn't work from other PC's on the network!!!!

Heeelllllpppp....please?

Sshaker

I will assume you have Microsoft Networking installed on the 9x machines.

This does not pertain exactly to your problem, but is more of a how-to on setting up a print server on W2K, when 9x clients will need to access it.

-First, share your printer on the 2000 box (I call mine "hp6mp")
-Next, create a user on the 2000 box with the same name as the user that logs onto the W9x machines. Give this user at least permission to print.
-Next, on the W9x machine, add a new network printer. You may not be able to browse the 2000 box, but ya don't need to. Just type in the path to the printer i.e.-"\\computername\hp6mp"
-If you did not install additional drivers for the W9x machines when you installed the printer on the 2000 box, it will ask you for drivers.
-Also, it will prompt for a password to match the password entered for the user on the 2000 box if it does not match the one entered when logging into the W9x machines.

Good Luck - Post back if this works or not for more help.
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Which machine is the printer connected to locally? What's the operating system of this machine? Do you have a local Windows password for that machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back