Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing USB drives over home wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi
I’m having problems trying to share some USB hard drives on my home network.
I have:-
[A] -1 x tower/desktop system running Win 7 Home Premium
-2 x netbooks running Win 7 Starter
[C] -1 x laptop running Win 7 Starter

All belong to the same ‘workgroup’ HOME

The USB hard drives are all connected to [A], and each have been shared and permissions set to FulL Control for Everyone.

However, when I attempt to map anyone of the drives from /[C] I receive a message to say that I do not have permission to access and to contact my network administrator.

I have done a ‘Google’ search and found some info suggesting that I amend or create IRPStackSize within the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters and set the value to 15. If this does not work it suggests increasing the value by 3 and retrying. Well I’ve got up to 27 and still no connection.

Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem and if so were you able to overcome it and be willing to share the solution.

Thanks in advance
Voisey

Check to make sure guest account is turned off in user account. And checkLink

Hi rclarke250 thanks for quick response

I’ve checked Guest User and it is turned off.
Homegroups are something I thought about previously to the extent that I created one but at that time did not connect my other pc’s to it.

When I open up ‘Control Panel>Network and Internet>Homegroup’ and try to ‘View or print the homegroup password’ nothing happens, other than a clicking sound but no action on the screen. I then tried to ‘Change the password’ – this allows me to either accept what is offered or enter my own (as you are probably well aware). However, when I do either of these actions I get a message saying ‘Windows cannot setup a homegroup on this computer’. I did manage to find the password amongst some old paperwork I keep in a ‘computer folder’ [I always print important info – just in case] and tried to connect my laptop to the homegroup using this, but the same message appears on the laptop.

I think along the way my system must have got corrupted. I do have images to hand but I think to go through a restore etc., although probably the most logical step to take, it’s one I do not have time for at present. I can live with the problem for now and look again when time is more available [can time be more ‘available’? – you know what I mean]. It is not critical to share these USB drives – just a nice to do (it would just save me having to always work from my home office upstairs instead of sitting more comfortably in the archair downstairs)

Thanks for you help, the link was very helpful

Cheers
Chris

Does this help:

linked from source:

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

To add to above, note one poster says it needs to be set to default Workgroup, so HOME may not work.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back