Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Source In Today's Age 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
I've been thinking about sharing some source to some random demo projects or just some general coding experiments I've done, like all the stuff I posted to the FAQs here. Mainly thinking of getting a lot of the stuff I have here out there so it doesn't just go away. I've looked around the web, but really haven't found any good material on guidelines as to how to do that best in today's environment (selecting a license, packaging guidelines, and so forth). Originally thought of GitHub, but I'm not sure if that's something that's workable on small little demo projects or not. Or making a small little blog with ZIPs linked to a Dropbox or something like that. Thoughts?

Putting stuff on Github seems currently the most used way of sharing stuff with the world. Just create a src or source folder and put the separate parts in its own folder there, add a Readme.md and select a proper license model (for just sharing GPL, LGPL, MIT licenses are often used, or write up your own "don't complaint, it's here for free" kind of license in LICENSE.md or LICENSE.txt is enough).
Also be sure it is only your own work, or properly licensed other ppl's work you publish. Add references to any requirements in a CONTRIBUTING.md text (yes, Markdown is the Langua Franca on Github for documentation and stuff like that, and it allows for easy linking and adding images where appropriate)

Thanks. For right now, it'll take a while to go through everything I have and clean it up. In the process, I'll need to add any license headers, check for stuff I copied off the Internet, and so forth. Mainly just trying to figure out what kind of work I need to do more specifically to do that. I think what you posted will be a good start, if I can check a project or two on Github.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back