Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Sharepoint Services across forests

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquiff

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
Has anyone tried sharing sharepoint across two different forests.

I have a windows 2003 domain and a windows 2000 domain external trust established and was hoping to allow users in the 200 domain to access sharepoint on 2003 server.

Any thoughts, is it possible Thanks in advance for any help

Answered my own question, it is possible, using external trusts.

Thanks for posting it again.Im haveing a bit of a trouble just viewing the portal form another segment in our network. We are running NT and 2000 servers. We are not yet in AD. Any ideas ?

Hope this helps

We have one 2003 server running iis6 with sharepoint services installed and three 2000 servers with. Each is a separate domain with external trusts linking between them all. Within each of the 2000 servers I have added a host record with the ip address and header name of the sharepoint site within dns in the primary zone. Each server also has secondary zones added for each of the other domains

I then added 3 crosssite groups, one for each of the 2000 server users and added all staff that needed access (this gets round the need for login screen.

I presume from your post that you are running sharepoint team services (the forerunner to team services). Sharepoint sevices is a 2003 server product,it requires 2003 server, sql server, and iis6 (check with microsoft website to be sure)

Sharepoint team services runs fine on 2000 server I have it ruuning on test at mo. Here are some thoughts for you I don't use NT much so hope info is okay:

1) if you are not running active directory you will probably need to set up a list of users.

2) Check dns, if there is a connection between servers ie you can ping by name and ip address then try creating a host header record for site. Then enter this as host record in each of the dns servers that can't see the site with the ip address of the site.

Hope this helps and does not lead you down wrong path. All my problems were cleared up simply by getting dns and trust relationships right.

I appreciate the Info elquiff..Actually you gave me some ideas. I'm new to Sharepoint and there are no books out there for Sharepoint portal 2003.

I will be br running Sharepoint Portal 2003 on a Windows 2003 server (with IIS) with SQL on another server. I have offices in several parts of the US. Should I have one portal being accessed by all 3 states or should each state have their own portal or virtual server?

Thnak you for your time.

If you check on Amazon there are now a couple of books available now one specifically for portal server. Best of luck

Techmc

Had a though about the last part of your post.

I think your decision should be based around business requirements and bandwidth constaints between sites.

We have got to stage in our setup where sharepoint services is run on one server (no need for portal). Information sharing is minimal at present.

Our thoughts exactly elquiff...

We are no longer using portal..no need for it at the moment. We just recently installed WSS 2.0. Hopefully that works out. Thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back