Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgaetos

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2006
US
I have 2 staff computers that are only used for Microsoft office and do not connect to the Internet. What is the easiest way for the 2 computers to share one printer? Can I create a network by connecting the two directly with a LAN cable?

Almost.... without a hub, switch or router, to connect them directly together you'll need a crossover cable. And since there will be no DHCP server to give them IP addresses, you'll need to assign IP addresses manually.

Keeping in mind, if you use either a crossover cable or a SOHO hub, whichever computer the printer is plugged into will need to be ON before you can print.

A better solution would be a jetdirect card or box for your printer, and a small hub or switch, so that all three can be on the network. Then, you can leave the printer on, and either computer can print.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back