Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing printers on server to other users who are not local users

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich110

Programmer
Jan 4, 2003
HK
Hi,

Is it possible to share printers (and/or directories) attach to the w2k server to users on the LAN that are not server-local-users?

Do you have a domain?

You can always share the resources and give "everyone" permissions, problem with that is it opens up the security too much.

If you have a domain then just give the user IDs access tot he printers. I'd suggest making a group and giving the group access, then make your users part of the group.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Tks Mark,

No, I don't have a domain.

Is 'everyone' the 'everyone' that you find when you right-click the printer-->sharing-->security:top box. If that is it, then I had the right thing but every time when I tried to print from a workstation (98 or 2k) it would ask for a password (which should be that of a local user on the server, right?) I just want to share the printer of the server to everybody, not letting anybody to logon to the server. Did I miss something when sharing out the printer?

If I am not that absent minded, I remember that in 98 it asked for a password when you shared your printer out. If you print from other workstation and input the right password, you would be able to use the printer at the 98 station. That is more appropiate, don't you think so?

When you say 'open up the security too much' what exactly would that be : I'm just sharing the printer, that's all. Could you elaborate further on this a bit?

PS -- all the things discussed here also apply to a 2k workstation, don't they?

create a work group to group the PCs together.
share out the printers and add the different driver types to the print server. the clients can then get the appropriate driver and use the printer.
remember that the client OS {2000 pro, XP}can only handle 10 incoming connections, at the same time.
just right click on the printer and select properteis.
click the sharing tab
cick the additional drivers button.
point to the driver location.
good luck
AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back