Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing new server drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

celsis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2001
IE
Hi all! I've just set up a new drive on our NT server (NT4) and would like to share it with all users. Unfortunately, when I map the drive to a users machine, it asks for a password if that user is not an administrator. I've tried the user's password, the admin password and my own password, but to no avail. I would like this drive to come up on each users machine at logon.

Policies are default policies, most users logging in as domain users.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

How are the permissions set up for this share? Did you create a new share to the drive or is it the NT Admin share...e.g. - D$?

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

If you try to map to the admin share (D$, etc.) you need to have admin permissions. You can re-share the same drive with another name and set the share permissions however you want to.

Generally speaking, it's not a great idea to share an entire drive. Even if you are allocating the whole drive for user data, create a folder and share that. This way, later on you can use part of the drive for non-user data. You also have to remember that there is a hard-coded 512 directory entry limit at the root of the drive. Users are not generally too good at placing their data in folders, and the limit goes away if you give them access to a folder rather than the root of the drive.

Hope this helps... :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back