Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing new drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

celsis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2001
IE
This may be very basic but I'm at my wits end. I'm trying to move some files off Novell to NT and in the meantime want users to sace docs to a new a new drive I've set up (G).

The drive is set up as <server_name>/G$. Whenever I try to map to this from any machine that does not have Administrator access, I'm asked for a password. Tried every password and can't fathom it out. I've tried changing the permissions on the drive to include all the users that I want to have access, to no avail. All users are 'domain users' with default permissions.

Set up is NT4 SP6a. Users are a mixture of 98 and 95.

I'm at my wits end! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

The <driveletter>$ share is a hidden administrative share that is automatically created. You cannot access it without administrative rights and if you try to browse to it through network neighborhood it will not be visible (hence the &quot;hidden&quot;). What you need to do is create a folder on the G drive and share that (eg- g:\users) giving appropriate permissions to the groups which will be using it.

You also cannot alter the share permissions on an administrative share. Jaeddy's suggestion for creating a folder and sharing that is better disk management anyway.

Good luck ...:cool: - Bill

&quot;You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want&quot; - Zig Ziglar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back