Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Microsoft Access. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetambarineman

Technical User
Feb 29, 2000
GB
Hello all,
i know this is strictly a MS Access forum problem but ive had some good ideas from a lot of the people in this forum so i thought id give it a go:

Basically my app uses MS Access 97 with VB as a front end..
i want to put the ms access db onto a server (public drive) and it will open in all workstations without sharing violations. Are there any ways to do this?? i havent tried it yet-but im guessing i would get permission/sharing violations..

Thanks in advance for any help...

Paul...

What I have done is to create a local database programmatically when your programme opens. Attach all the tables you need from the 'server'. Provided you open the server database shared to do the attach, you should not get sharing violations. The advantage with doing it this way is that if you create a temp table, it will be created locally so you will not have to worry about two users trying to create the same temp table.

I was worked for a software house company. They did just like you mention. VB as front end, Access 97 as back end and put in server, sharing for all users.

To attach the database, every user create a workspace on their local machine. All transactions were done on this workspace. No sharing violation occured.

But in some case, the MDB file become corrupt and need to be repair. This happen oftenly specially when deal with large data.

The only important thing to think about is to use transactions. Collect as many updates as you think is appropriate locally, and only then do the COMMITT, to reduce network traffic. Moreover, you'll have to code some reasonable error handling on duplicates and locks. And stay away from bound data controls - their multi-user capacity really stink.>:-<

/Cy

I have a program that I created about a year ago that does just that, I have had a problem with one computer that has a disconnect problem during write operations and corupts the database. When I wrote it I did not now about Transactions otherwise I would have included that. Switching over to ADO this summer so I plan to take care of it then. We have up to 15 people at a time accessing but only about 3 or 4 writing at a time since most people just retrieve and view data.

hi, just a bit blur here
if u use commit to save the records to the server database, when will u trigger the commit function?
:p

hai all,
i am workin in syndication company. here i done the project in that i done the same as you asked put the database and access it from the applications which are in different workstations. For that i put the database path
like this
set db=opendatabase(&quot;//NT_server/C/chand/database.mdb&quot;)

Its working properly. Programatically i checked and commit the recods to avoid duplications and runtime errors.

please send ur suggessions and advice about this code

webspy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back