Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing mail in dual boot win2k & win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
Is it possible to share the mail folder in win2k and win98se using outlook express! I've moved the folder to a different drive in win98 and installed win2k on another drive! I was senting up the internet and mail, in win2k, when I realized that I didn't want two different mail locations! Is this possible to do this without destroying the original win98 mail setup?! Also can I setup the internet to both use the same temp files in win2k and win98se? I know my versions for outlook express and IE are the same but don't know if the OS versions will conflict. All hard drives are setup with fat32, if that helps.

Ultimately I want to move/migrate all work programs to win2k and all play programs to remain in win98. Further, everything grouped and seperated into there own partions.

thanks in advance for any and all help!

Braddds

What you are talking about essentially is using the same OE in both OS's, and the answer is no. You cannot share the same application between OS's. You CAN import/export the same files & settings, etc, and instruct OE to "leave a copy of messages on server", so whenever you sign in at either computer - you will have the same messages..but you can not share the application, and have only one configured Outlook Express program.

If you setup OE in Win98, and then set it up again in Windows 2000..they will not conflict with each other.

The key is to leave messages on your server..not on the hard-drive. Or, consider using Hotmail which you can receive from any pc at anytime (as long as it has internet access).

Hope this helps..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

That's what I thought.

Thanks

Braddds

I don't know with OE. but with outlook it's somewhat possible. you can get softweare to copy a file/files everytime you shutdown or at other times, and then you just have to make the program copy files from where outlook saves ther settings and post folder in both Win2k and w98.

Triss

The feature you're referring to is synchronization. Both OE and Outlook can do this. The problem is with connecting to the email account in the first place from only one installation shared between 2 operating systems.

If he was setup with synchronization in Win98..he still would have to setup those same features again in Windows 2000 - Outlook and OE can't be shared between operating systems, and function as one.

It's a good point - but I just want to make sure bradds is aware of the fact he still cannot share the email client between operating systems.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

If the same version of OE is installed under each OS then surely the problem (and resolution) is one of getting OEs datafile path pointing to the same set of files.?

I've done this many times in both OE and Outlook and it woorks perfectly. All you have to do is find the folder where OE is keeping its datafiles and move them to a temporary area. Run OE, it will complaint that it can't find it datafiles and ask you to show it where they are. Using the directory pick box, show it and that's all there is to it. This same also works for Outlook from'97 onwards

I havent tried it myself but could you not change the default storage of your mail into a folder on the fat32 drive.Then do the same in w98 and point to the same folder.
(This is found under the maintenance tab)

I just want to address that the issue of dumping messages into a location that both operating systems can access is not a problem. Like stated before - it can be syncronized, stored on the pop server, or shared locally.

The point i wanted to make is that each OE will have to be setup independently..you cannot run OE in Win2K by browsing over to Win98's .exe.

And sharing the temporary internet files between the other OS also led me to believe that this was Braddds intention.

He will still have to setup each OE or Outlook account independently on both OSes.

..sorry for any confusion, or misunderstanding in my postings, guys.

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back