Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Internet Connection (LAN) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

getimran

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
ES
hi,

I want to share my dial-up (modem) internet connection
on my LAN.
Can I achieve this without usign proxy server (ISA).
Any ideas......

Bye
Imran Make habit of marking posts as helpful or expert post, if they do solve your problems.

Yes it is possible. What OS are you running, how many machines do you have, how are they connected (ethernet thru hub etc)? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thanx,

Hub, 10 machines , 2000 server, But I am not willing
to use ICS/NAT etc. but want to manually configure clients and server.
I know TCP/IP's Winsock Interface can be used to
configure socket applications but HOW ??????

Actually, I want to go deep down into bits and pieces of internet connection sharing.

Can u help ??? Any advice ?

Bye
Imran

Make habit of marking posts as helpful or expert post, if they do solve your problems.

hi,
Thanx for your advice but I want to stick to MS OS.

However, Thanx for your reply!!!

Can winsock be used for this purpose?

Bye
Imran

Make habit of marking posts as helpful or expert post, if they do solve your problems.

Your NT box (yeah - win2000) can be used as a router. Be prepared to spend at least a couple of hours a week for the latest security patches.

The linux solution is only for your gateway. The rest of the machines could still be MS.

I agree with wires on this one.. Windows can do routing also, but from what I've read and heard, Linux does it much better.. Though I am still very newbie to Linux.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Hey guys, I don't think that Imran is thinking to have a router. This will have many implications (an public IP address for every computer that what to use the Internet?? To ask your provider for all of them? And to pay them!)
Better a proxy, or NAT. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

I don't think getimran really knows what he wants to do except use MS products but not use the built-in ICS solution...

However since he wants to share a modem which is most likely a PPP connection (1 IP address) he will HAVE to do NAT (network address translation) somehow.

On my first reply I missed the modem connection. The Linksys product won't do a modem but a simular product from SMC will. The SMC7004ABR has the advantage of working with DSL/Cable/ISDN for when his network "graduates".

also will work with a modem, is free and will run on a old 486 box with an internal modem.

hi,

GiaBetiu is absolutely RIGHT !!!

No Router is acceptable for me. I want to use Socks for
securety and routing. NAT use custom configurations with more flexibility but who cares for flaxibility when one have
only single public address.
So I think, ICS is the best.

However, suggesting Linux for simply routing is not an
intallegent move. Besides this, learing new technology is a
waste of time when your current knowledge can solve problems.
So, here I am starting a new debate "Why switch to Linux". Anything special, Anything which Microsoft doesn't provide.

Looking for hot replys !!!

Bye
Imran

>GiaBetiu is absolutely RIGHT !!!
And Gia said "Better a proxy, or NAT" which is EXACTLY what I have been telling you.

>No Router is acceptable for me
Good luck on sharing your connection without one...

>So I think, ICS is the best.
Best at what? IMHO ICS is a POS that is only suitable of occasional home use.

>However, suggesting Linux for simply
>routing is not an intallegent move.
Why not? Tens of thousands of people use Linux for routing and the number is growing every day. Using Linux for a router allows you complete configuration control, reuses obsolete equipment (a 486/33 will saturate a T1), improves your spelling, is more secure and is easy to implement. The link to freesco.org only requires you to answer some questions to build a boot floppy. No prior *nix knowlege required.

>Besides this, learing new technology is a waste
>of time when your current knowledge can solve problems.
A horse and buggy can get you from one place to the other. Learning new technology is NEVER a waste of time.

>So, here I am starting a new debate "Why switch to Linux".
I never said anything about switching to Linux. You don't currently have a machine doing this task so there is no switching involved. The rest of your network can be MS, Sun, Mac, HP-UX, AIX or whatever. The *nix's (Linux, BSD, Sun) RUN the internet. Why not use the tool that fits?

>Anything special,Anything which Microsoft doesn't provide.

Linux provides:

Freedom from oppressive licensing
Freedom of source code
Freedom to use existing equipment
Freedom to configure your system your way
Freedom to make your own security decisions
Freedom to consult with the thousands of people who actually know how Linux works (try that with a MS product)
Freedom to spend your money on something that will make a difference in your operation instead of mindless upgrades.

"Besides this, learing new technology is a
waste of time when your current knowledge can solve problems."
Please tell me that is sarcasm!
Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Wow, wires!

Such a comercial advertising for Linux. Sound nice!
But try to not loose the professional part! And everytime when you offer a soultion to a customer, give a solution based on customer's need!
Of course that I will prefer to have a router! Why?
Because is faster!
But a router is a device that makes my network known to the other network (in this case the Internet) and viceversa. And, then your internal LAN should be a network address known from the internet! Do you know how much cost this? And if you have 10 computers that want to access the Internet, you have to ask from your provider 10 public addreses! How much does them cost? Is it efficient?
NAT is a fast and nice solution. But with not so much control. Usually it is associated with another firewalls or application.

Ok, wires, be just a professional! Let the marketing part for others!

Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Gia

Read the thread and the links. We are both talking about the same thing.

Freesco does NAT which is what Imran will have to do since all he has is a modem connection. By definition NAT must include routing or else it would not work. Both of the commercial products I provided links to are NAT boxes.

I am a professional. Freesco is a good, tested, robust and free solution to Imran's problem. Imran asked for "hot replys !!!" so I provided one. I resent any implication that I am not a professional or am not acting in a professional manner. In the future I would apperciate you keeping such incorrect thoughts to yourself. Additionally I resent any implication that Irman is a "customer" of mine. This is supposed to be place for peer to peer conversations.

As far as my support of Linux, get over your CNE self and take a look at the future. I have switched several customers from Netware to Linux and they could not be happier. A good sized college in my area is ditching Netware for Linux to do campus wide staff/student file sharing. Novell employees could not get the student's Macs to work properly with Netware. Linux will save them over $12,000 per year. In the aftermath of Nimda many large corporations are ditching ISS on NT in favor of Apache on BSD or Linux.

Happy networking!

hi,

"But try to not loose the professional part! And everytime when you offer a soultion to a customer, give a solution based on customer's need!" This is what Gia Betiu
said and she (perhaps) is completly right.

The only reason I tried to tease Linuxers is "Wires"
suggested Linux for me. Although their is no problem with suggesting your prefered tools but while doing this you have
to be unbiased as well as needs to give a good comparision
between then one customer is willing to use and your prefered one. Which was lacking in "Wires reply".

No hard feelings for anyone. But most of the FREEDOMS are not of any importance to a normal user infact, it can make administration more difficult and cumbersom.
Linux has to go a long way to compete MS OSs.

However thanx to all for your replies which make this thread a real interesting one. Good Luck All :)

Bye
Imran

Imran,

You still don't seem to be getting the picture.

With a piece of software like freesco there is NO GUI or any need to learn Linux.

You read the instructions, download a zip file, write an image to a floppy, boot from the floppy and type setup. Then you answer some questions, the same sort of questions you would have to answer setting up any computer to do this sort of thing (IRQ's ,IP's...). The resulting floppy is all that is needed to boot a 486 (or 386) as a fully functional Linux router/NAT/firewall box. In most cases you can even pull the fans since there will be very little load. A 486/25 can saturate a T1 line.

THAT IS IT. No need to think hard. No need to buy any books. Just RTFM.

I still think you would be best served by using something like the SMC7004ABR since it has less to go wrong than a PC and it uses less power.

Everyone else,

IDC's Server Stats for 2001 showed Linux surpassed NetWare to become the second largest operating system used for new Intel-based server deployments.
If you add in the Sun SPARC and IBM non-intel depolyments you can see why Bill is getting nervous.

Other interesting stories:

Cray/Dell/Linux - WOW

IBM's $1B investment in Linux - progress report

I hope that anyone's perception that Linux is some sort of a unsupported "hackers toy" is now history. (unless you consider IBM, HP, Sun and Dell "small companies...)

BTW - I am glad we got that "objectivity" thing out of the way. What a silly notion, our posts should be filled with presenting all points of view equally (like anyone here knows all). This is MY post and it is filled with MY opinion just as YOUR posts are filled with YOUR opinions. It is up to you, the reader, to sort the pearls from the dreck.

Enjoy!

hi,
Thanx wires for being so consistant with your posts in this thread. I expect, you will be on your twose for any other thread which I may start.
Ofcurse, Gia will be there as well.

I appreciate your efforts and certainly will go throuh
the "freesco" and others.

Thank you for your helpful links.

Bye
Imran Make habit of marking posts as helpful or expert post, if they do solve your problems.

Try It's a firewall/router linux package that can run on a 486 and requires no expertise at all. It's controlled from a browser on a remote PC therefore requires no Monitor, kb or ms once installed from the downloaded ISO. It's also fully scaleable from free (which will suit your 20 machine network) to a couple of hundred pounds for a medium sized corporate environment web hosting with VPNs and blocklists.

Gav
A problem with your PC??? Never...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back