Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Internet connection across LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonC25

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I am have trouble figuring out how to configure ICS from Win2K to other Win2K machines on a network.

I have a LAN 192.168.1.??? with Win2K server running DHCP. One client machine (Win2K) has a DSL modem attached with 2 nics. One nic is a local 192.168.1.???, the other nic was supplied by the DSL provider. If I attempt to share the connection, it gives me a message to change the ip 192.168.0.??? . If I do that I don't think the clients will be able to see the ICS at that address.

Any help???

You cannot use ICS in the presence of any other DHCP server.

Configure your network with static IP's, on the 192.168.0.x network. ics will set your local network nic to 192.168.0.1
then on each pc on the lan, set the ip to 192.168.0.x, dns/wins/gateway to 192.168.0.1

should work fine then.

nlm9802,

Thanks for the info, that should work. So on the system with the shared connection, I should configure both nics to see the 192.168.0 network. The ICS will take care of the 192.168.0.1 address and I will assign a static to the other? or can I use one nic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back