Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharing folders (and allowing others to use them) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoV

Technical User
Dec 19, 2000
BE
Hello,

When sharing a foler or disk in Windows 2000 it isn't possible for other machines to access these shared folders. When selecting my machine in the network (a workgroup in a larger domain) it always ask for a password (which I have not set) and gives a login name $IPC (which I cannot change). How do I allow others to access my shared folders ?

Thanks

I think the problem is when this system was booted up,
a Username was entered, which is NOT
defined in the Windows2000 User-Manager, so this user has NO
permission to access the Windows 2000
system. I think that is why you get the IPC$ share.
Hope this fixes it, please let me know how you get on.
Thanks

This is not exactly the problem, I can login on the machine (I login as Administrator) but when I share some folders on the machine I cannot acces them from another machine. When I try do do this a login screen appaers with resource : \\PCNAME\\$IPC (unchangeable) and a request for a password (which I did not set in the sharing options. So I can't acces my shared folders from another machine.

Thanks for the reply anyway

u can always try this

\\youripaddress\c$

or

\\yourcomputername\c$

use Administrator for login
and password is your administrator password...who needs to share anymore? When you can access everything on the windows machine yourself...if you are using other machine than nt and 2000 you have to be login as Administrator in order to do this feature...just click Start and see if it says Log off Administrator, if it is then you are login as Administrator.

heh

hui

You need to set up a user account on the W2k machine -- only users set up on that machine can access shares. What you're seeing by default (\\PCNAME\\$IPC ) is a generic admin share...

You can also, as stated above, enable the guest account -- it's just gives broader access than enabling an account for a specific user.

check the login user name of the other machines .. you can find out by pressing start on the other machines and above the shutdown option there would be a loggof User name. Add them to your windows 2000 users the same name and give them some level of access to access your computer .. and you would be able to allow them to logon to your windows 2000 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back