Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing files with win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamstorch

Technical User
Jun 16, 2000
US
I have a pc with win2000 pro, and i just got a laptop with win98 on it. I have connected the two with NIC cards. I could successfully connect from the win2000 machine to the win98 laptop, but when i try to connect to the win2000 pc, it asks me for a password for \\compname\ipc$. This happens when i try to connect to just \\compname -- it automatically tries to access \\compname with the \ipc$

i have the following information from windows 2000 help, but don't really know what to do from here

Depending on the configuration of your computer, some or all of the following special shared folders are automatically created by Windows 2000 for administrative and system use. These shared folders are not visible from My Computer, but can be viewed using the Shared Folders snap-in. In most cases, special shared folders should not be deleted or modified.

IPC$
A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources.

I have not set a password for this ipc$, and none of my admin or user account passwords work. the win2000 pc is'nt even showing up in my network neighborhood!

please help---Adam [sig][/sig]

You need to create a share on the W2K box. You also should either create a new user account that can access this share or enable the guest account.

Then you can use the map network drive option from the W98 box ala -> \\w2kcomp\share

[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back